Make a Donation
Make an online donation
When you donate to Chez Doris, your gift will have an impact on women who come to Chez Doris for help from all corners of Montreal and beyond. In order to fulfill our mandate 7 days a week, we largely depend on private donations and grants for operating budget of approximately $3,100,000. In 2018-19, Chez Doris purchased a building for $1,025,000 with the goal of opening an emergency shelter for women in 2021. As well, also in 2021, Chez Doris will launch a permanent residence with 26 units in collaboration with the Société d’habitation de Montréal.
All monetary donations are tax-deductible. Our charitable registration number is 101835841RR0001, and our official name is Chez Doris Women’s Shelter Foundation.
All donors are automatically put on our mailing list to receive our bi-annual newsletter and e-invitations. All active donors and others who steadily support the mission and objectives of Chez Doris, are invited to our Annual General Meetings, and are adopted as members of Chez Doris at the first Board of Directors’ meeting of each new calendar year. Donors of $250 and up will receive a mailed copy of our annual report. Donors’ contact information will never be sold, shared or rented.
Where does our funding come from?
- 31% Individual and community donors
- 28% Federal, provincial and municipal grants
- 28% Foundations
- 6% Centraide
- 7% Other
Mail a donation
Cheques may be made out to Chez Doris (also known as Chez Doris Women’s Shelter Foundation). Download and print this donation form, and send it by fax or mail to:
1430, rue Chomedey
Make an in memorial or tribute gift
We will notify friends and family of your gift.
Make a donation of publicly traded securities
By transferring publicly traded securities such as stocks, bonds, and mutual funds directly to Chez Doris, you will:
- Eliminate your capital gains tax.
- Receive a charitable tax receipt for the fair market value of the stock upon transfer.
If you leave publicly traded securities to Chez Doris through your will, your taxable capital gains may be eliminated and your estate many claim a tax credit of up to 100% of your net annual income in the year of death and the year preceding.
To obtain an Electronic Securities Form, click here. The form must be completed by you or your broker and serves as an agreement and provides instructions for transferring specified securities to Chez Doris’ financial institution. For more information, please contact Marina Boulos, Executive Director at 514.937.2341 #225 or at email@example.com.
Make a Gift of Life Insurance
There are various ways to give a gift of life insurance, which include:
- Transferring ownership of an existing, fully paid life insurance policy to Chez Doris, and receiving a charitable gift receipt.
- Applying for a new life insurance policy, with Chez Doris as its owner, and receiving a tax receipt for the premiums paid.
- Making Chez Doris the beneficiary of a life insurance policy, and your estate will receive a charitable tax receipt for the death benefits.
There are various ways to bequeath Chez Doris in your will. You can leave a percentage of your estate, the residue or a specific cash donation, a paid-up life insurance policy, securities or property, which will reduce the tax payable on your estate.
If you decide to bequeath Chez Doris in your will, here is some wording that will help:
- To donate a residue of your estate, an identified percentage of what is left in your estate after taxes, debts and other bequests are paid:
“I give ___percent (x%) of the rest, residue, and remainder of my estate to Chez Doris Women’s Shelter Foundation for its general purposes”.
- To donate a specific amount of money or specific asset:
“I give the sum of $_______to Chez Doris Women’s Shelter Foundation for its general purposes”.
“I give ___ shares of (Company Name) to Chez Doris Women’s Shelter Foundation for its general purposes”.
- To donate a contingent gift, a gift received after certain conditions are met:
“In the event that ____________________________, I give Chez Doris Women’s Shelter Foundation ______________” if …. (e.g. my sister does not survive me)