Make a Donation
Make an online donation
When you donate to Chez Doris, your gift will have a direct impact on vulnerable women who come to Chez Doris for help. To fulfill our mandate 7 days a week, and now 24 hours a day (until March 31, 2021), we largely depend on private donations and grants. Chez Doris, also believes in the importance of providing affordable permanent housing as a sustainable solution in breaking the cycle and homelessness. In 2021, Chez Doris is preparing to broaden its mission and expand its services with two new points of service: an emergency shelter with 22 beds within walking distance from our day shelter and a permanent residence with 26 apartments in collaboration with the Société habitation de Montréal.
All monetary donations are tax-deductible. Our charitable registration number is 101835841RR0001, and our official name is Chez Doris Women’s Shelter Foundation.
All donors are automatically put on our mailing list to receive our bi-annual newsletter and e-invitations. All active donors who contribute a hundred dollars or more on an annual basis and who steadily support the mission and objectives of Chez Doris, are invited to our Annual General Meetings, and are adopted as members of Chez Doris at the first Board of Directors’ meeting of each new calendar year. Donors of $250 and up will receive a mailed copy of our annual report. Donors’ contact information will never be sold, shared, or rented.
Where does our funding come from?
(Operating budget of nearly $ 3,500,000)
- 31% Individual and community donors
- 28% Federal, provincial, and municipal grants
- 28% Foundations
- 6% Centraide*
- 7% Other
*During the last fiscal year. As of October 1, 2020, Chez Doris is no longer a Centraide funded agency.
Mail in a donation
Cheques may be made out to Chez Doris (Chez Doris Women’s Shelter Foundation). Download and print this donation form, and send it by fax or mail to:
1430, rue Chomedey
Make an in memorial or tribute gift
We will notify friends and family of your gift.
Make a donation of publicly traded securities
By transferring publicly traded securities such as stocks, bonds, and mutual funds directly to Chez Doris, you will:
- A charitable donation of publicly tradedsecurities such as stocks, mutual funds, bonds or futures results in a tax receipt for 100% of the value of the gift on the day of the transfer. By donating publicly traded securities, you eliminate the capital gains tax that you’d have to pay if you sold the securities and then donated the proceeds. your capital gains tax. Eliminate your capital gains tax.
- You may also wish to consider donating listed securities in your will. Because capital gains will not be taxed, your estate may realize considerable tax savings from your gift while preserving capital for your beneficiaries.
To obtain an Electronic Securities Form, click here. The form must be completed by you or your broker and serves as an agreement and provides instructions for transferring specified securities to Chez Doris’ financial institution. For more information, please contact Marina Boulos, Executive Director at 514.937.2341 #225 or at email@example.com.
Make a Gift of Life Insurance
There are various ways to give a gift of life insurance, which include:
- Transferring ownership of an existing, fully paid life insurance policy to Chez Doris, and receiving a charitable gift receipt.
- Applying for a new life insurance policy, with Chez Doris as its owner, and receiving a tax receipt for the premiums paid.
- Making Chez Doris the beneficiary of a life insurance policy, and your estate will receive a charitable tax receipt for the death benefits.
There are various ways to bequeath funds or assets to Chez Doris in your will. You can leave a percentage of your estate, the residue or a specific cash donation, a paid-up life insurance policy, securities, or property, which will reduce the tax payable on your estate.
If you decide to bequeath funds or assets to Chez Doris in your will, the following wording may be helpful:
- To donate a residue of your estate, an identified percentage of what is left in your estate after taxes, debts and other bequests are paid:
“I give ___percent (x%) of the rest, residue, and remainder of my estate to Chez Doris Women’s Shelter Foundation for its general purposes”.
- To donate a specific amount of money or specific asset:
“I give the sum of $_______to Chez Doris Women’s Shelter Foundation for its general purposes”.
“I give ___ shares of (Company Name) to Chez Doris Women’s Shelter Foundation for its general purposes”.
- To donate a contingent gift, a gift received after certain conditions are met:
“In the event that ____________________________, I give Chez Doris Women’s Shelter Foundation ______________” if …. (e.g. my sister does not survive me)