Become a volunteer
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Chez Doris. It is always a pleasure to welcome a new member to our volunteer team; by working together we can help realize our goals.
How do I get involved as a volunteer?
It is important that you enjoy your volunteer experience. Therefore, before you apply please take a minute to explore our web site. On our site you will be able to learn about Chez Doris, read about our mission and values, and discover our programs, services and available volunteer opportunities. Men are welcomed as volunteers.
Once you feel you have enough information and are certain that Chez Doris is the right place for you, contact the volunteer coordinator, Joëlle Michaud, who can be reached, via email at email@example.com or at 514-937-2341 extension 238 concerning volunteer opportunities. It is important to know that a criminal record check is required to become a volunteer at Chez Doris.
What volunteer opportunities are available at Chez Doris?
We have a variety of possible volunteer positions across multiple services and programs. Certain opportunities will enable you to interact directly with the clients or alternatively, you could help with administrative or operational tasks. While the following list is not exhaustive, you are also welcome to propose to organize and plan other on-going activities and services as well as provide specific skills. The following is a list of current volunteer positions:
- Clothing room (clerk and organizer)
- Collective kitchen coordinator
- Driver donation pick-up
- Handyman or woman
- Medical doctor
- Translator (English-French)
You may also donate professional services like legal advice, accounting, translation, graphic design and photography.
We also have expert volunteers for the following committees
- Communication Committee: manages external communications
- Finance Committee: responsible for ensuring the full and accurate account of Chez Doris funds
- Fundraising Committee: raises funds for Chez Doris
- House Committee: oversees maintenance and major renovations of the building
- Personnel Committee: creates and governs personnel policies
- Program Committee: provides support to existing programs and helps introduce new programs to the centre
- In-Kind Committee: finds donations of products to be used for its clientele and/or to run the house
If you are looking for short-term, one-time opportunities, or would like to volunteer as a group, the following is a list of ideas:
- Housekeeping tasks such as washing windows, painting, cleaning our courtyard
- Host a field trip such as a concert, movie or museum outing
- Pay for the cost of and host a holiday meal
- Pay for the cost of and host a weekend Brunch
- Organize a collection of non-perishable foods, hygienic products, and clothing
Can I offer services in an area not listed in the available positions?
Absolutely! We encourage volunteers to incorporate their skills, knowledge and passion into their volunteer experience at Chez Doris. If you have an idea for a program or other volunteer position, do not hesitate to contact the volunteer coordinator Joëlle Michaud at: firstname.lastname@example.org or at 514-937-2341 extension 238.